Monday, May 4, 2009

The Good Ole Days

The birth of my first great grandchild reminded me of how scary newborn infants can be. I’d forgotten how fragile they actually are. How can something be so soft, cuddly, and delicate and at the same time, be so scary?

Because of an infant’s fragility, they are totally dependent on their parents. The only thing they know how to do is. . .drink milk, pooh, and sleep. However, they eventually learn to sit-up, stand, talk, walk, run, and get into things.

Then something happens. They develop intelligence and minds of their own. With it come opinions, decisions, and rebellion. Then comes the influence of peer pressure, girlfriends, boyfriends, and rings in the nose, tattoos, and more rebellion, but hey, we still love them because they are our kids.

This person that was once totally dependent on us is now leaving home and striking out on his or her own. They know everything and have forgotten all about us. They don’t visit as often as we’d like and they are learning different things than what we taught them.

All of a sudden the house is empty. . .and quiet. . .very quiet.

The peace is great for about a week then we realize that their dependence on us effected us in another way. . .we needed them as much as they needed us. After all, we were dad, mom, friend, nurturer, provider, teacher, counselor, protector, and personal guidance coordinator.

We supplied their food, clothes, roof, toys, medical attention, and even consoled them when they were down. We supported them at school plays, games, teachers meetings, PTA, and now. . .they were gone.

The many different hats that we wore were lost that day. They did not depend on us anymore but that's the nature of the beast. Since the day they were born, their independence is what we groomed them for - daily. We wanted them to learn from their own mistakes and gave them the latitude to do so with free will in hopes that they would derive a better than average chance of survival in the world. We would not always be there to save them.

We got excited about their independence, especially when they'd make the right decisions and then grew from them, but I personally admit that I miss the good ole days when they just depended on me. It’s purely selfish, I know, but. . .

I wonder if God the Father thinks about His children the same way we think about ours, as being fragile, soft, delicate, and drinker’s of milk. We haven’t learned how to stand, walk, or talk the spiritual things of God yet and as infants we are totally dependent on Him.

To help us in our decision making and giving us the chance of survival, God also gave us the latitude of free will. As we grow, our worship and prayer time builds each day and we find ourselves more dependent on Him. He supplies all of our needs.

Then something happens. We develop intelligence and minds of our own. We venture out on our own with our own ministry, doctrines, opinions, decisions, beliefs, and get so caught up in the deeper things of God that in the process we forget about our Abba Father. We have developed our independence through free will and have grown up in the Lord.

We don’t visit Him as often as He’d probably like but we’re learning, working in our ministry, and doing the work of God. However, God still loves us because we are His children. He will never leave or forsake us (Heb 13:5).

As a parent, I taught my kids how to take care of themselves so they could, one day, grow up, and have their independence. However, I miss the validation of that dependence and needing me. I wonder if God feels the same way and doesn’t want to give His children their independence either because He just misses the good ole days, like I do. . .when they just depended on Him.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Next week: Fear, the Enemy of Faith. Doubt, unbelief, and fear always point to self, but faith always points to God. Whereas, Christ is the author of faith, Satan is the author of doubt, unbelief, and fear. We have to make a conscious decision with our will, by faith, who we are going to serve.

God bless you all and we'll see you next Monday.

Thanks for stopping by,

Your Host
James Lindquist
Christian Author
http://www.jameslindquist.net

Check March blog archive or my Web page for an explanation of my names.
http://www.jameslindquist.net/htmfiles/biograph.htm

2 comments:

HAIN Holiday_Angel said...

I can truly relate to this one and I know our God is a jealous God.
Oh, to walk those first few steps and gain independence through the Word. It was so fresh and felt like taking a nice shower. Drenched in His love and kindness. His peace and grace surrounding me.
Your blog reminds me of those days I wish were an everyday experience. It is my fault, daily, as I make the choice to Not be with my Father. I know He loves me yet I stay away from Him, though not so far I don't find my way home when it is convenient for me, typical, huh?
He knows I love Him with all my heart, even though, and I pray I will see Him in the blink of an eye.
It is a hard thing to see a child out of the nest, and grandchildren too, rings in the nose, lips and ears. Dear Lord have mercy, but He never see's our flaws and I am so grateful.
I think I will like this post above others because in truth I feel close to this a lot.
Thank you James for the insight and sharing this with us. Great job. Many Kudo's..

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it but I am learning this as well. I haven't reached the edge that you are looking over but I am approaching it slowly. I feel that little pain everytime my kids go away and survive perfectly well without my knowledge and guidance. I know that there will be a time much too soon where I will be without them and it makes me sad to think about it. I think you are correct in your view. How could he not feel the same as we do when he in fact created us in his liking?