Sunday, July 12, 2009

Who We Are In Christ

Late one evening, when I was a young man, my sister and I were walking home from a dance late at night. We frequented this weekly event every Saturday night because sis loved to dance. At the time, I had just turned sixteen and Judy was only thirteen and in the eighth grade. She was very mature and beautiful for her age. We were (and still are) the best of friends, and she is still very beautiful.

Suddenly, from the shadows, a young man in uniform materialized, which startled us. Judging solely by his looks, I figured him to be about nineteen or twenty. His catcalls and childish demeanor brought that down to about eleven. However, because of the uniform, I knew this not to be true.

His whistles and remarks, most of which I can’t even remember, were innocent at first, like, "Hey babe. . .how about you and I go out. . ." Soon his comments began to escalate to a more confrontational demeanor. Remarks like, “Hey sweet thing, what are you doing with that dork? Let a real man walk you home.” He closed the distance between us. I finally asked the guy to back off. He didn’t. By the time we got to our front yard, the soldier and I were in full hand-to-hand combat.

Dad must have heard my sister screaming because he ran outside, grabbed the soldier with one hand and me with the other, and held us both out at arm’s length. It was all over.

I thought to myself, I can take this guy dad. I was winning the battle but maybe dad was a little uncertain as to whether I could have won the war especially with a trained soldier. (He didn't feel trained in my head lock.) Nonetheless, dad loved me enough to jump into the middle of things thinking I was in danger no matter the consequences to his own safety. I am proud to have called him Dad and to be a part of his family.

BORN INTO GOD'S FAMILY
Through faith in Christ we are all brothers and sisters in God’s family [1]. Every person saved in the past, present, and future will be in Christ by what He did on the Cross. Christ loved us enough to come down out of His home, not worrying about His safety, and jumped into the middle of our troubles to die for us.

When I was just a kid and one of my siblings or I had a tough challenge ahead, I’d always ask them, “What’s your last name?” I was proud of my last name and wanted to pass it on to my sons in as good as shape as when I received it. If Dad taught me one thing, he taught me perseverance and that I could do anything if I put my mind to it. He’d always say, “What’s your last name, boy?”

When we are in Christ, what is there that we cannot do through Christ? His Word says that we can do all things through Him that strengthens us [2]. So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir [3]. This proclaims that all of the privileges that belong to Christ now belong to us, as well. God is our Abba Father or as a term of endearment, our daddy [4].

Who are we in Christ? We are sons and daughters of God and heirs to His Kingdom. The same Spirit that is in Jesus is in us. Therefore, I ask you, "What's your last name?" In whose family do you belong?

LIVING IN GOD'S FAMILY
My dad not only taught me to be a man but he also taught me to be a father. My family did everything together while growing up. We went camping, fishing, to the beach together and even played games at home like, 500 Rummy, Monopoly, and picture puzzles. We always had food on the table, a roof over our head, and much love and affection to go around. We wanted for nothing.

It is God the Father’s good pleasure to give us everything. As a point of fact, God's Word says that it is the Father's good pleasure to give us His Kingdom [5]. If we give our kids good gifts, how much more will God in heaven give better gifts to us [6]. However, there is one catch: we need to have faith “In Christ.” We need to belong to His family.

I remember when I first asked Christ into my heart. I was in a little Baptist Church two blocks from our house. I can close my eyes and still see the pastor leading me in the prayer of salvation. I was now in Christ and redeemed. That was 54 years ago.

We can see people healed and even rise from the dead, but the biggest miracle and gift of all is salvation. We are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus [7]. Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law when He hung on the Cross.

ETERNAL REWARDS IN GOD'S FAMILY
Although both my parents are with Jesus now, I am still proud to be in their family and to have their last name. So, what are the benefits of being in God's family?

In Christ, we have redemption [8], sanctification [9], wisdom, and righteousness [10]. In Christ, we are wise, strong, and honorable [11]. In Christ, we have eternal life [12] and can always be triumphant [13]. There is an anointing [14] in Christ and we are all a new creature [15]. In Christ, we have liberty [16] and have justification through faith [17]. We are children of the living God [18] in Christ. We have hope [19], grace [20], and salvation [21] in Christ. In Christ, we have reconciliation [22] and are partakers of the promise [23].

Dad is reaping those benefits first hand now with the Lord in glory. Even in Dad’s last days, he was still protecting us kids with his prayers. His physical body gave out and he could no longer pick up two men at arm’s length but his prayers protected us all just the same.

To acquire the grace of God [24], His love for us [25], and all the privileges of “In Christ”[26] here on earth, we first need to come to faith in Christ [27]. Once we join God’s family through the prayer of salvation, then faith in Christ is nothing more than trusting in God’s Word [28] and not wavering, as James warns us in chapter 1:2-8. I am proud to be in God's family.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. [29]


In Christ footnotes
[1] Galatians 3:24 [2] Philippians 4:13 [3] Galatians 4:7
[4] Galatians 4:6 [5] Luke 12:32 [6] Matthew 7:11
[7] Romans 3:24 [8] Romans 3:24 [9 ] 1 Corinthians 1:2
[10] 1 Corinthians 1:20 [11] 1 Corinthians 4:10
[12] 1 Corinthians 15:22 [13] 2 Corinthians 2:14
[14] 2 Corinthians 1:21 [15] 2 Corinthians 5:17
[16] Galatians 2:4 [17] Romans 5:1 [18 ] Galatians 3:26
[19] 1 Corinthians 15:19 [20] 2 Timothy 2:1 [21] 2 Timothy 2:10
[22] 2 Corinthians 5:19 [23] Ephesians 3:6
[24] Titus 2:11; 1 Peter 4:10 [25] Romans 8:35-39
[26] Galatians 4:7 [27] Galatians 2:16, 20; Galatians 3:26;
Ephesians 3:17; Ephesians 4:13; Philippians 3:9
[28] Proverbs 3:5, 6 [29] 2 Corinthians 13:14

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Next week: We the Jury. The Spirit of Guilt is one of the most devastating spirits in the arsenal of Satan. It can bring us down quicker than anything. Satan has spiritually indicted and prosecuted everybody that has ever lived, but the verdict is in. . .“Not guilty – on all counts.”

God bless you all and we’ll see you next Monday.

Thanks for stopping by,

Your Host: James Warren
Christian Author: James Lindquist
http://www.jameslindquist.net

Check my first blog “Welcome” for explanation of my names.
http://www.jameslindquist.net/htmfiles/biograph.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi fantastic blog! Does running a blog like this take a large amount of work?
I have very little knowledge of coding however I was hoping to start my own blog soon.
Anyways, if you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share.
I know this is off topic nevertheless I just had to ask.

Many thanks!

Have a look at my weblog: affordable health insurance