Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Antioch and Alexandria Bibles

The poetic prose of the King James Bible, although a little hard to understand sometimes, has always felt comfortable to me in that I was hearing from God when I read its pages. If ever we needed to hear from God, it is now.

This is not, nor will it be, a crusade I just want to report what I have learned. The only way you can persuade yourself that you are really reading the Word of God is to do the research for yourself. You be the judge. I have already made my decision. I will also give you some sites to use as references. You could write a book on the differences - so, I will barely scratch the surface with this information.

Recently on social Christian network, I started a discussion based on a movie I’d seen many years ago (Planet of the Apes). Although I really didn’t believe in the concept I presented (and said as much)[1], I just thought it might be fun. I had some very interesting comments put forth and I enjoyed reading them tremendously. I even learned a few things in the process.

The concept came from Genesis 1:28 and the word “replenish.” Someone made the comment that the KJV was the only version that used that word. Now I knew of some of the existing alleged discrepancies in other modern day translations but the comments prompted me to do some personal research. Although I have talked to many other people about this, I wanted God to lead me to my answer and conclusion – not man. I think that’s prudent.

Don’t take my word for it, however, do the research yourself. The only trouble is, you’ll need a copy of the AVKJV to make the comparison. I have learned that the KJV is the standard by which we judge all others. It is the original Bible and version.

I love the Word of God and love researching it, so I thank those who participated in my discussion and prompted me to study this. I had a ball with the discussion and the research. There is not enough room to do this topic justice and will only be a few examples out of hundreds of examples that I could present. This will only be a comparison. You decide.

However, what I learned solidified my belief. So, out of love for my brothers and sisters in the Lord, please allow me to exhort you to, minimum, do the research for yourself. I did, and here is what I have learned.


Formal/Dynamic Equivalency

Translators use two basic approaches to creating a Bible translation: formal equivalency and dynamic equivalency. Bibles translated by formal equivalency will take careful reading. At times, you will have to study history to learn the cultural background before you can fully understand the text.

The translator is simply rendering the text in your language...nothing more. . .nothing less. Nevertheless, you will have the confidence of knowing that you do not have to trust another man's understanding, or theology, but can make up your own mind as to what God has said. In the English language, the King James Bible is the only available translation using this approach.

On the other hand, Bibles translated by dynamic equivalency will read as easily as a novel. When a story seems difficult to understand without a little history, the author may even change it to a form he believes you will better understand! You will never know for sure what God said, but must trust the translator's theology to lead you into truth. The translator here is acting as a teacher, not just telling you what God said, but he is adding his understanding of what God meant! All present day versions use this approach.


Antioch and Alexandria Bibles

We hear much talk these days about "older" and "more authoritative" manuscripts, but we aren't hearing much about the origin of these manuscripts. It is an established fact that there are only two lines of Bibles: one coming from Antioch, Syria (known as the Syrian or Byzantine type text), and one coming from Alexandria, Egypt (known as the Egyptian or Hesycnian type text).

The Syrian text from Antioch is the Majority text from which our King James 1611 Bible comes, and the Egyptian text is the minority text from which the new translations come. (As a side note), in the Bible, notice how the Holy Spirit casts Egypt and Alexandria in a negative light, while His comments on Antioch tend to be very positive.


Deleted Verses

You might be shocked to know that the NIV deletes over forty verses from the Bible. Here are just a couple: Mathew 18:11. What are the NIV readers missing? "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost." (KJV) Sort of important, don’t you think? How about this one: 1 John 5:7. What are the NIV readers missing? "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." (KJV)

1 John 5:7 is one of the greatest verses in THE Bible that testifies to the trinity. This is why the Jehovah’s Witnesses leave it out of their bible. They don't believe in the Trinity. So. . .why does the NIV leave it out? If we believe in the Trinity, then this deletion should greatly offend us. I know I am tremendously offended. The NIV removes these two major verses.


How about a couple more?

The NIV completely removes Mark 11:26. What are the NIV readers missing? "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses." (KJV) How about Acts 8:37, which the NIV completely removes, "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (KJV) Its deletion makes one think that people do not need baptism or saved to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. This goes against our faith, in that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and The Life and is the only way to the Father. Rather important Scripture I think.

If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? [3]” (KJV)


Contradiction

One of the most famous and recognizable verses in the Bible is John 3:16. The KJV says, “For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son. . .” Here is the NIV: “For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son. . .” This change causes a contradiction in the word of God because God has more than one son according to both the King James (Genesis 6:2, Job 1:6, John 1:12) and the NIV (Genesis 6:2). The NIV even contradicts itself. If there is one contradiction, then the rest loses credibility and needs rejecting.


Deleted Words

The NIV removes 64,576 words from their bible. In other words, don’t look for the word “mercyseat,” its gone; don’t look for the word “Jehovah,” it is gone, and don’t look for the word “Godhead,” it is gone. The word “sodomy” is also gone. (The deletion of the word sodomy sounds suspiciously PC to me.) Are you sitting down? Sixty-four and a half thousand words are like removing thirty books from the Bible. THIRTY!!! The NIV removes words like, remission, regeneration, impute, propitiation, New Testament and many, many others. All this despite the Bible’s warning about “taking away” from His words (Prov 30:5, 6; Rev 22:19).


Jesus is Lucifer?

For me, here is the capper: the NIV bible calls Jesus, Lucifer. Don’t believe me? Check it out for yourself. We first have to look at Isaiah 14:12. This is what THE Bible (KJV) says: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations." Here is the NIV: “How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations.” This Isaiah passage is all about Lucifer. . .remember that. Also remember now, while continuing to read, who is the Morning Star.

Is there anywhere else in the NIV that mentions the Morning Star? Check out Revelation 22:16, which says, “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.” What about 2 Peter 1:19? “And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.” The NIV has Jesus and Lucifer as the same person by its own words. This is in black and white and irrefutable. This is highly offensive to me. Lord Jesus, please have mercy on us.

I offer this series only because I love the body of Christ and want to help and warn you in your walk. Time for us is running out. I don’t want to keep silent on a truth that I have learned. This would be a lie of omission[2].

As a comparison, what if I was consistently prone to not telling the truth, how much credibility would I have with you? Would you come back to me to seek the truth? I doubt it. You would consider me a poor and unsuitable character reference with zero credibility. We seek the Bible for truth so if one verse is wrong or missing, that bible has zero credibility.

The Holy Spirit convicts us but He also convicts us through the Word of God. His Word is where we reference our convictions and learn from them. If the Bible we are reading has mistakes, lies of omissions, and deletions, then how can we be sure that any of the passages are correct and with which we can base our convictions?

God has given us all free will and we now have a choice. I want to make sure that I am hearing from God because of the times that are ahead of us and not from man’s interpretation of what he thinks God may have said. I don’t have any titles next to my name for I am just His humble servant. However, I do, as we all do, have the Holy Spirit to guide us.

First and foremost, you should test everything that you read on these four pages, as well as elsewhere, against THE Word of God. He is the definitive answer. Therefore, I leave you in His hands and offer these few pages for your testing.

I pray that this information is useful in your walk.

GBY all


Much information taken from:

Jesus-is-Lord
Bible Study Resource
The King James Bible Page
Bible versions F.A.Q
Lie of Omission

.

7 comments:

Leslie Pinto said...

This MAN is THE Lord's SERVANT, he morethan Words can SAY.

Leslie Pinto said...

The King JAMES VERSION, THAT IS WHAT I PREACH from.

Mike McKinley-Good said...

A sobering analysis James, and as always I admire your earnest, honest, knowledgeable reflections.

However, and this is only my humble opinion, I think you get caught in the same trap as so many theologians - the trap of over intellectualising the Word.

In a recent e mail to a friend, I wrote these words, which I believe the Holy Spirit put in my heart, and which I repeat because I don't think I could better them in my own strength:
"The problem with theology is that it is – the study of God and God’s word. It is an ‘intellectual adventure’ and as such can entangle us in Egotistical interpretations. That’s why so many Denominations exist – they just muddy the waters! And the more desperately we seek to clarify using our minds/intellects, the muddier it gets!!

Christ told us (Matthew 18:1-4)
“At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

Children don’t engage in deep academic research. Theological debate is like a two edged sword – it can work for us and it can work against us!

Christ said (Luke 10:21)“At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.”

The truth of the Bible can only be revealed to us through the Holy Spirit (John 14:26), an ‘intellectual’ endeavour is open to being as flawed as the ramblings of Richard Dawkins. There are many, many learned theologians and they all have one thing in common – they disagree with each other on many points and some will claim the rest are condemned to Hell – so who is right?"

Please don't get me wrong, I offer this in Love. I am not 'attacking' your perpective, simply opening the door for further discussion.
I personally, feel the New Living Translation speaks to me more eloquently than the rest. I have seen other translations come alive with the Holy Spirit in the hands of different people.

I agree you are right to establish the KJV as the standard against which other translations should be measured, but only in order to keep the others balanced and corrected.

I'm sorry, but with regard Isaiah 14:12, a reading of all the translations make it obvious that the prophet is speaking of Lucifer (indeed the bulk of Isaiah 14 is a "taunt against the king of Babylon"). Even The Message, seriously flawed as an 'academic' translation, leaves no doubt in this:
"What a comedown this, O Babylon!
Daystar! Son of Dawn!
Flat on your face in the underworld mud,
you, famous for flattening nations!"

I believe that the Word can take care of Himself (remember that Jesus IS the Word, the Bible is not a dry text, it is alive!) and that as with so many things of this world, they serve purpose in God's plan, and so too does the existence of a multitude of variations.

You said it yourself ("However, I do, as we all do, have the Holy Spirit."), let the Holy Spirit guide us - then we can't get it wrong :-)

God bless you James. Keep spreading the Word, and apologies if I come across a little heavy handed.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Jim, I'll try to be nice here. I don't know the full extent of your research, but the site you noted in your post seems perhaps as one-sided as this site which claims the KJV is NOT accurate.

http://bible.org/article/why-i-do-not-think-king-james-bible-best-translation-available-today

It's always puzzled me why King Jamers seem so intent on defending "their" translation. Personal preference is one thing, we all have the right to choose on this score, but trying to defend a translation - good or bad - seems rather "I'm right and your wrong." Of course, when we preface our remarks, as you and Mike have, with things like, "this is what the Holy Spirit told me," it all seems rather self serving.

It might be noted that NO translation is or could ever be totally accurate or even "inspired." The original mss. are "God breathed" and we do not and may never have those in our posession. Why God has allowed that I have no idea. But it is what it is. So all peoples everywhere work with what they have, not with what they don't have.

You have endeavored on a risky mission my friend. Just remember, for each point you make disparaging other translations, an equal point could be made toward the KJV.

Blessings,
Norm

HAIN Holiday_Angel said...

Wow, James, you really got the hornets nest stirred up this time. However I do agree with you. The Word says not to add to or take away from it and sure enough people just have to rush right out there and do it. I would not want the curses the bible has written in it on me but Revelation will come to life soon. the Groom is coming and His Word is Faithful and Holy and True! Woe Woe Woe to them who are found wanting for willingful ignorance and adultrating the Word of God.
Thank you james for not being a cowrd, I know Cowboy sure would be proud...
God bless you good and faithful friend.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jim,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR DESIRE TO SPEAK AND SHARE YOUR HEART CONCERNING THE SCRIPTURES.
I ENJOYED READING THE COMMENTS OF HOW PEOPLE RECIEVE WHAT YOU HAVE SHARED. I MYSELF APPRECIATE HEARING WHAT GOD HAS TO SAY THROUGH HIS PEOPLE. I DO NOT SEE YOU DEFENDING JESUS OR THE KING JAMES VERSION. I SEE ONE WHO HAS A TRUE HEART TO SHARE WHAT HE HAS STUDIED AND LEARNED. I APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT YOU SPEAK IT WITH BOLDNESS AND WITH NO APOLOGIES, YET WITH HUMILITY. THIS IS A TIME WHEN WE AS THE BODY NEED TO REALLY COME TOGETHER AND LISTEN TO THE HEART OF CHRIST IN ONE ANOTHER. WHEN WE DO WE JUST MAY FIND WE HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING NEW. IF WE REMAIN UNAPROACHABLE WE LEARN NOTHING. YOU OPEN YOURSELF TO COMMENTS AND I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR WILLINGNESS TO DO SO.
ALL WHO SHARE COMMENTS DO SO I BELIEVE FROM A DESIRE TO SHARE WHAT THEY FEEL IS CORRECT. I THANK ALL OF THOSE WHO DO THIS, AND THE LOVE AND DESIRE THEY HAVE TO BE A VOICE IN THESE TIMES. IF EVER WE AS CHRISTIANS NEEDED TO SPEAK UP IT IS NOW. OUR TRUE HEARTS WILL SHOW IN OUR RESPONSE TO ONE ANOTHER. IF WE WALK IN LOVE AND HUMILITY CAN CAN TEACH US ALL MORE OF WHAT WE ALL NEED TO LEARN.
KEEP WRITING BROTHER,
JUDY

Karen said...

Thank you for the research you have done here, James. I did not see this post as a pro-KJV, anti-everything else either. I simply read it as a comparison. I am most comfortable with the NASV -- I feel God speak to me most clearly through it. I have tried others - NIV, NKJ - and always go back to my NASV.

I think a person's Bible choice is a personal one, and it's important for people to choose a Bible that speaks to them. Does that mean every version is God-breathed? I don't think so. I think anyone who wants to can write a translation of the Bible. I've seen translations that I wouldn't consider a Bible at all. I think God would expect nothing less than for us to use His guidance to seperate the good from the bad.

Unfortunately, just because it has the word "Bible" on it doesn't mean we can automatically trust what is inside. I agree that every version probably contains errors, but we have to trust that God protects us and leads us to knowledge in a different way when that is the case.