Thursday, January 13, 2011

A SPOON FULL OF SUGAR

.

I had my gun loaded, so I headed out for the bank. I'd spent the last two days getting my ammunition ready. Today was the day. I was sick and tired, frustrated, and angry.

I walked into the bank with my shoulders back and my neck as erect as I could manage. I wrinkled my forehead, pursed my lips, and gnashed my teeth. Now I am 6'2" and 250lbs. To most people, I probably presented myself as a pretty menacing figure. As I walked through the foyer, I could have sworn I heard some chuckling.

I looked around with my squinting eyes and noticed that the few people, who were there, did not even look my way. No one had a smile or was laughing. I stopped dead in my tracks when seven words subdued me. It wasn't a guard standing in front of me brandishing a nine millimeter or was it another man who was 6'4" and 265lbs with 15% body fat that stood in my way. It was the seven words that stopped me.

"Recompense to no man evil for evil."

The words caused every muscle in my upper body to go placid. I determined that it was the Lord who couldn't hold back the chuckle. I must have been a sight to Him as I walked into the bank looking like the Terminator. I had to laugh at myself.

Those seven words came from Romans 12:17 of the Holy Bible. The world has a similar thought, "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down." Psalms 15:1 offers another avenue to take, "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." A soft answer indeed, can take the wind out of someone’s sails. It is up to us as believers to set the tone for civil communication.

The Lord blessed me with a calm spirit so I could resolve the issue that I had with the bank. It was a three-month ordeal that was very stressful for me. I had let the enemy control my attitude. I am not proud of that fact, but if it helps somebody, then I’m okay. The issue is resolved though and they have seen the error of their ways. (Yes, they were at fault.)

I will try harder in the future to keep my gun of communication and my ammunition of words under close scrutiny. (What do you think I meant? LOL) As long as the Lord keeps chuckling with (or at) me, I’ll be okay. Does anybody else suffer with my affliction?

.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi James,

I have preached on Romans 12 the last two weeks. Last week was about civil communications and this week was about renewal of the mind to make the church of God better for the local community. You did great on this blog. I don't think I would change anything in it.

Catch you later and keep spreading the Word of the Lord.
Don

WordyKaren said...

Enjoyed this 'spoonful,' Jim. Nice writing and a GREAT message.

Karen

Terry Scerine said...

I have to admit, Jim, I was wondering about the gun until the end. We all have our breaking points after all.
Yes, I do have the same affliction, too often armed and ready for a fight. That's where the rubber meets the road. It's easy to follow Christ when things are good, but not so easy to keep the flesh in submission when triggered by an angry knee-jerk reaction to impropriety or injustice.
Alas, we know our Lord's ways are always far better to follow than our weak human ones. "Love your enemies; be perfect as my Father in heaven is perfect. Do not return evil for evil. A kind word turns away wrath."
It's always been a struggle for me to walk in the spirit rather than the flesh in those instances when my anger wants to control me; to allow God's ways to prevail over my own.
We may need to be really good at this in the very near future, when we may be wrongly persecuted for His name's sake!

vickie storey said...

uncle jim
i enjoyed this message very much,has to be one of my favorites besides the one you wrote on the matflower history
love you
vickie

vickie said...

the word is mayflower not matflower what a goof ball :)
vickie

James Lindquist said...

Thankseveryone. I appreciate it. God bless.