Monday, March 7, 2011

RUNNING FROM GOD

.

Something happened yesterday that I am absolutely sick about.

To begin with, I am in the process of selling my house. My Realtor tells me that in order to show the house, it is best if there were no pets on the premise.

The second half of this equation is that my new residence does not accept pets, which means that “Bird” would have to go. Bird is what I named her. She gave me a lot of enjoyment and now I had to get rid of her.

I only had one requirement; it needed to be a good and responsible home and one where they would take care of her. I finally found a good home and they would be here momentarily to take possession. Along with Bird, came a large birdcage and five to six months worth of food. They came in a truck without a canopy, so we needed to put Bird in the cab.

We tilted the cage to squeeze it into the cab but unbeknownst to us, the cage door unsnapped and Bird flew out of the cage and into the cab of the truck. Before we could shut the truck door, Bird continued her flight out of the driver’s side window. All we could do was stand there and watch as the parakeet flew the length of the driveway, across the street, and out of sight.

There were many places to perch but it appeared that she couldn’t wait to leave and get to places unknown. She didn’t even look for a place to land. She just flew toward the horizon as fast as she could. What was up with that?

I never mistreated that bird. I fed her, watered her, and cleaned up after her. I covered her at night and uncovered her in the morning. I fellow-shipped with her during the day and particularly loved it when she, without warning, took flight for her two trips around the family room. She did that two or three times a day. And here she was, flapping her wings as fast as she could to get as far away from here as she could.

As sure as my name is Jim, I know that without my provision, Bird doesn’t stand a chance at survival. Escape meant death. Lost and afraid, she could freeze to death, starve to death, get scared to death, or some cat could make short order of her. This deeply saddens me. It is the closest I’ve been to tears since dad went to be with Jesus. I loved that bird--and now, she was gone.

Christ’s death on the Cross opened the door to the Father’s presence and I am sure that the Lord is also deeply saddened when we run away from Him and head for the horizon. Without God’s provision, we don’t stand a chance of survival. Our escape from His presence is death, and We are lost and afraid from out of His provision and love. If we remain in this condition for very long, the enemy will make short order of us as well.

Instead of flapping our wings and floundering before the serpent, we need to find our misplaced faith in the Cross and give guilt, shame, and fear the boot. Second Corinthians 10:5 says it best:

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. . .

Period!

.

4 comments:

Jeannie Kociemba said...

Dad- What a great anagoly. I am sorry about Bird. Maybe she will find her way back. To continue on with your anagoly. Just like we fly away from God, we also find our way back. We are stronger for it and have a deeper faith. Sometimes to truly have a relationship with God, we must first leave and then came back to have a deep and meaningful relationship.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the bird. I'm not sure where I missed the transition from pup to bird, but then again I miss a good many things. :)

There is one thing that might be good to ponder. There are some who take flight and indeed never return. The flight might have begun by accident, but the result is to keep on flying. And it may not be that they "flounder before the serpent." Simply that they chose to abandon their walk.

Just a thought.

Again, sorry about the bird. That's a hard thing to witness knowing with some assurance what the outcome will be.

Unknown said...

Jim, it has been a while. Sorry about your bird. I have had either a dog or cat in the house for as long as I can remember. When we lose a pet that becomes a part of the family, it hurts.

But speaking of "running from God", I did that for 29 years before He found me again. He found me by way of a man who became my best friend. He passed about 3 1/2 years ago now. I ran from God because I was mad at Him, because I thought that He could have saved my mother from the horrible death that she suffered. I realize now that He was not the cause of her death and that she died as a result of medical malpractice.

When I was found, He showed me that I needed Him in all that I do.

I will always be in service to Him.

Have a great rest of the week.

Don

WordyKaren said...

A thoughtful essay, Jim. Thanks for reminding me in a fresh way of what I know, so I don't forget it.