Wednesday, November 30, 2011

JEWISH MARRIAGE CUSTOMS: Part Seven

.

Cup of Acceptance

The groom then traveled from his house to the house of the prospective bride [1]. Once all the negotiations had taken place, the bride price given, and everything was settled, the groom would offer a cup of wine to the prospective bride. If she drank of the cup, it would signify that she accepted his proposal of marriage [2]. Once they drank from the cup of acceptance, Jewish law [3] considered the marriage ceremony legally sealed.

Parallels to the Church…

When Jesus offered the cup at the Last Supper He was proposing to all of the saints. When we take communion and drink of that cup, we are saying, "Yes Lord, I accept your proposal and wish to become your bride. I accept everything that you are to me and I put my trust in you. I believe in you Lord. Your death my husband, will not be in vain because I recognize and covet everything that you have done for me and everything that you are to me."

Once we accept that cup of communion, we are betrothed and have accepted His proposal of marriage. Our marriage to Christ is sealed.

v29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom [4].

Matthew 26:29 tells us of the second cup, which we will drink at the marriage ceremony with Christ. We will cover this in a moment.

[1] http://www.betemunah.org/wedding.html
[2] http://www.biblestudymanuals.net/jewish_marriage_customs.htm
[3] Halaka
[4] Matthew 26:29

.

No comments: