Monday, June 17, 2013

HOW WELL HAVE I LIVED?

The angel of death seemed to be hovering around my family of late. I left Brad’s service with mixed emotions. Brad was my granddaughter’s husband’s grandfather. Brad was a great guy, person, and role model. He was a good husband, father, and grandfather. He was intelligent, respected by his co-workers, soft-spoken, and a kind-hearted individual. He was also active in his church and known for his generosity. I knew and really liked the man.

I have to wonder as I look back on the sum total of my own life, and my own mortality, did I make a difference by being there? How many would show up at my service. How many lives have I left better off by being there?

My dad was another great man. If he were in a room with 50 other men, he’d be the one that you gravitate to. He and Brad both had a presence. Brad and my dad were definitely two men with which a person could emulate.

I’d like to share a snippet from Brad’s announcement that prompted me to reflect on my own life. This snippet encapsulated both of their lives.

A man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of his wife and children; who has met his goal and accomplished his tasks; who leaves the world better than he found it, who looked for the best in others and gave the best he had.

We all, no doubt, have had someone in our lives with who we have looked up to and with whose presence has made things better for us simply by their presence. Given the above snippet, that thought made me think about whose lives I’d made better simply by my presence. My dad and Brad gave those around them many reasons for looking up to them. How well had I lived?

According to the snippet, I’d fallen short in a couple items but one thing I proudly leave for this world, is my kids. They are my legacy and it is what I’ve done to make this world a better place.

How many of us can say, I have fought the good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith [2nd Timothy 4:7]? However, it is never too late to get back on track and to recapture our course. We can do this through our faith in Jesus Christ who is the ultimate person to emulate [Romans 8:28, 29, 1 Peter 2:21].

Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life [John 14:6]. He is the answer to everything [Philippians 4:19]. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord [Joshua 24:15]. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and He will save you [Romans 10:9].


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father's Day always makes me think of the things you've noted. I miss my Dad and how he touched my life.

Introspection is a good thing. It helps us gain perspective. At the same time, it can give us pause to do as you have done James, look at the sum of our life - up to this point - and quiz ourself on whether or not we've made a difference. The reality is we will never know the sum of our existence. We may enjoy those rare moments when someone actually voices their appreciation for our contribution to their life. But for the most part the praises will only be sung at our funeral. If then. :)

Karen O'Connor said...

Jim, I just returned from my brother-in-law Harry's funeral and the reading on SUCCESS, which you referred to above, was printed in the program. Harry was a wonderful example of everything it said. What a nice coincidence that you and I are asking ourselves the same question about how to live our lives after attending a final service for one of our loved ones.