Wednesday, October 23, 2013

YOU CAN'T TAKE ANYONE

Part One of Two: Using “where we’ve been”

Many years ago I wrote my first book, The Final Cup, the theme of which was horizontal relationships in parallel with our vertical relationships with God. Not long after that, my wife and I divorced. Once the shock was over, I thought about how could I write a book on relationship when my own marriage failed? I just about deleted the book file from my computer when the Lord spoke to my spirit as clear as a bell, “Who else would know the pitfalls of a marriage?”

The prevailing wisdom of today says that we cannot take anyone where we haven’t been. Have any of us given up on our calling or mandate from God like I just about did with my book because of the guilt, shame, or condemnation of our imagination?

v3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,
v4 Who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

Many characters in the Bible didn’t want to go where God called them or did they want to do what God called them to do because of a condemning spirit. Take Moses for one of the many examples. He did not want to go to Egypt because of his fear of not having the right words. God had given him a big responsibility of his people’s deliverance.

Moses finally obeyed God and went to Egypt and look what happened because of his obedience. Through God, Moses delivered his people. By not deleting my book, I was able to publish The Final Cup to a printed copy and wrote two other books on relationship and the latest report is that they are blessing many.

Not that I’m comparing myself to Moses, but what I am saying is that I also didn’t want to finish what God called me to do because of the spirit of condemnation that plagued my soul.

Therefore, the next time you can’t bring yourself to finish what you feel God has mandated for you because of guilt, shame, fear, or condemnation, remember that there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus [Romans 8:1]. If you feel condemned, remember from where that emotion comes, and act accordingly [2 Timothy 1:7]. Look to Christ, the author and finisher of our faith [Hebrews 12:2], listen and hear His voice [John 10:27], remember that it is impossible to please God without faith [Hebrews 11:6], and that the opposite of faith is fear [1 John 4:18]. Remember who you are in Christ [Romans 3:24; 8:2; 8:39; 12:5; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 3:26] and that you belong to Him [Mark 9:41; John 17:21-23].

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

November 3rd I will post Part Two: The Laying on of Hands. The phrase “You can’t take anyone where you haven’t been” is true in the opposite as well. I will explain to you what I mean by that on November third.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the commentary. When I was in the Navy, I would never have my men do a job that I had never done. That is a good way to lead. It is also possible to bring people from where you have been "Been there, done that." I have brought people out of their life of sin to salvation. God is still using me to do that. I will continue to do that until the day I die.

Karen O'Connor said...

Great post, Jim. I agree with you. I was divorced too and at first I felt that my failed marriage disqualified me from encouraging others in their relationships, but I soon learned the opposite is true. It is my pain and sadness and even my anger that have helped me empathize with others who are suffering.