Tuesday, November 26, 2013

WITHOUT FAITH

Recently while I was walking to StarBucks, I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Normally, I wouldn’t think anything of it because I’ve always had a high threshold to pain. So naturally, when my back started hurting with every twist and turn of my body, I began wondering, what in the world was going on.

At first I thought it was my joints that pained me but hey, I could still stand and walk with no apparent pain. It’s when I tried bending over to sit or moving back to a standing position that put me in the rafters. I began using SportCream™ right away. Although I have a high threshold, I still don’t like to hurt just like everybody else.

I have learned that pain is the body’s only way of telling us that something is physically wrong. Since all truth is parallel, it is the same with our spirit. When we hang onto the emotions of fear, guilt, shame, anger, resentment, bitterness, jealousy, and other bondages, it can cause our faith pain and discomfort as well. It will affect our walk with God because,

. . .without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him [Hebrews 11:6 KJV].

Faith is a muscle and sometimes we can pull that muscle with any number of the above bondages and more. When it affects our walk with God, it can also be painful and discomforting. Depending on the severity, it can take a long time to heal.

Unless:

In the process of renewing our mind [Romans 12:2], we can pull that muscle many times. However, when this happens, remember that there is also a spiritual ointment we can use to ease the pain. We call that ointment the Holy Spirit.

Directions for use
Recommended dosage: Apply liberally as needed with prayer, worship, and repentance repeating application as many times as necessary.
Filling your prescription: Seek the great physician, Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Karen O'Connor said...

This blog article is totally awesome. I love it. You made me smile. I really enjoyed the metaphor regarding faith.

Jim said...

Good read... thanks