Friday, July 4, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!

Standing on top of a hill overlooking Washington DC, sits a 79 ton marble sarcophagus. A soldier from the 3rd Infantry Regiment marches 21 steps back and forth guarding this lone and Unknown Soldier. He pauses at each of the four turns, and waits 21 seconds at each turn before continuing. A soldier (sentinel) while “Walking the Mat” does not wear an insignia of rank. This further respects and honors the occupant so as not to outrank him.

These 21 steps and seconds are the highest honor that each sentinel can give to the Unknown Soldier because it is representative to a 21 gun salute. While writing this tribute today and reflecting on this tomb and where America is in this day and hour of history, I literally came to tears as I read the inscription carved into the large marble tombstone.

Here rests in honored glory
an American soldier known only to God.

Death is final and this soldier gave up his everything so that I could be free and pursue the remainder of my life with my kids, my friends, and my dreams. As I read the inscription and realized what this soldier gave up, I felt as though I wasn't worthy even to read what was carved on the tomb wall. He not only gave up his life for me but for the country for which he served. . .America.

America also sits on top of a hill and is the light of the world.

You are the light of the world – like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden [Matthew 5:14 NLT].

People have come here for over 200 years to be free, to live out their dreams, and to follow their aspirations. Where will the people go when America is gone? (I know where believers are going!)

America celebrates its 238th birthday today as a beacon of light to those who would be free. However, the reason that America is free is because of the thousands of men and women soldiers who protect her and sometimes give their life for her. To those brave individuals who serve(d) the greatest nation and strongest economic power in the history of mankind, I give my total 100% respect, support, and gratitude. Because of you, may the Stars and Stripes fly forever. I know they will at my house.

One has only to visit the Arlington Cemetery to see the countless rows upon row of white crosses, a daily reminder that each and every one represents a human life and precious soul that sacrificed his or her life for our great nation. There are 400,000 American soldiers buried in Arlington Cemetery, three of which are unknown [1]. Without compunction and without any regard for their own safety, they selflessly sacrificed their lives, not caring about any recognition they might receive for doing so. Sirs and ma’am’s, I thank you with a grateful heart.

The tomb of the Unknown Soldier is empty now [2] but the Army Guard still guards the tomb with the same respect and honor that it deserves, as it represents the soul who dwelt there and the three unknowns buried in the cemetery. It also represents the countless thousands of soldiers today who throw caution to the wind and charge the front line with the resolve of an expectant victory, but also with the ever present possibility and hidden apprehension that they too could end up as a permanent resident of Arlington. . .but with controlled abandon they charge anyway.

This is the American spirit, a spirit that still lives on in the hearts of not only every soldier today but of every citizen who dwells here. We [are] America. Each and every one of our soldiers are heroes in my book and I salute you. I only wish I were young and strong enough to charge with you.

When I think of what this country stands for, I can’t help but think of the expense that it has cost their comrades in arms and of the American people, especially as I look out over the sea of white crosses. It reminds me of the price of freedom and indeed, it does not come cheap.

Then when I think of what America is becoming now all because of a few power hungry individuals during these end times, it exacerbates the tears that I have literally shed for her today. I cannot stop the flow. It really saddens me and I have a heavy heart thinking of her miracle, the cost, and what we are doing to her. Lord, please forgive us for what we are doing to the gift that you gave us 238 years ago.

All of these thoughts leave me with a vision of 400,000 crosses spread out across an open field and of the lives and purpose that they represent, and as I reflect, my mind fills with a cacophony of emotions; respect, thankfulness, awe, hurt, remorse, pride, humbleness, sorrow, and yes – anger. Anger in that these great men and women gave the ultimate sacrifice for what would now appear to be for naught to a handful of elite individuals who are the powers to be, and by their actions, are spitting on the graves of our dead hero’s memories. I apologize to all of you soldiers, dead and alive, for the actions of a few men in power. God bless each and every one of our troops in Jesus name, and He will. . .bless you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA! The majority of us still love you. Thank you Lord for America and please have mercy on us your servants.

____________________________
[1] 125,000 buried on foreign soil managed by the AMBC (American Battle Monuments Commission). 300-400 Americans who fought in French Foreign Legion in WWWI buried overseas. 200 casualties buried in Canada from war of 1812. There are approximately 3600 war dead who are not in any official overseas U.S. cemeteries. 468 buried at Brookwood just outside of London and another 563 missing in action memorialized by name. There are about 750 Soldiers buried in Mexico City. There is no database for all dead American soldiers and some are still on the battlefield. We will never know exactly how many are buried on foreign soil or who are still on the battlefield in their grave of honor and heroism.

[2] On May 8, 1984, the remains of the Vietnam Unknown Soldier entombed at Arlington was disinterred and through the miracle of DNA testing, they identified the soldier as Air Force 1st Lt. Michael J Blassie. The family re-interred him in his home town in St Louis, Missouri. Under the direction of President Ronald Wilson Reagan, the government decided that the tomb would remain empty. This author thinks that that was a great idea because now it represents ALL soldiers who will be known and unknown and yet will give their lives for us.

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice piece Jim. Thanks for sharing it.