Tuesday, September 21, 2010

MANY TEARS

.
Part two

Fifty-seven years ago, I was dying in my sins, until a little Baptist pastor sat me down and led me to Jesus Christ. I loved going to church and to Sunday school. I even went to Wednesday night crafts. I was 10 years old at the time. Everybody thought I was going to be a pastor when I grew up.

Four years later I started high school. Well I grew up in high school alright, and let peer pressure talk me out of sharing the Gospel. It was not their fault but mine, for not sticking with my guns. There is a saying that says, “Get out of the way and let God.” Well, I got out of the way all right but I forgot about the let God part. I have to take responsibility for much blood because of my lack of evangelism in my life. I refer you to the first Scripture of this three part series, Mark 16:15:

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

Remember also John 15:16

". . .but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain. . ."

I’d misplaced the ordination of Christ. When I did try and lead someone to Christ, I did it the wrong way. I ended up beating them up with the Bible. Oh, my heart was in the right place but my approach was a little Levitical in nature. I wish I would have taken Paul’s advice in Acts 20:19-21 instead of following John’s in your face approach. God anointed John to be that way. God anointed most of us to be like Paul, compassionate, understanding, full of love, forthright, and serving the Lord in everything.

SERVING GOD

Last week we got a glimpse of serving God. We need to know who God is to us and know why we serve HIM. That is number one and of the utmost importance. It was the first thing that Paul mentioned. When approaching others about the Gospel, remember that Christ wants to shine and work through us. This is where the serving comes in handy, not just being a friend of HIS. I want to be a bond slave (sold out) to Jesus Christ.

I serve Jesus, yes I do.
I serve Jesus, how about you-u-u?

HUMILITY OF MIND

Paul says to lift up the Lord for we are HIS body. Spiritually, the Lord literally sits on our shoulders. When I approach someone with the intent of sharing the Gospel, do people see me or the Lord? How am I acting? What is my countenance? Am I soft and compassionate? Am I forthright but mellow? The head guides, teaches, and tells us what to do and how to act. By using the words humility of mind, Paul is saying to esteem others and not self. Esteeming self is prideful.

We might be the only Bible someone might see. I do not want to beat them up with it anymore. When I approach anyone I just listen a lot and then tell my testimony. If I can tell them what God has done for me instead of telling them how God feels about a certain sin (one that they may have or confess), then they are more receptive. Now, I let God convict their heart. Christ called me to bring them to HIM, nothing more, and nothing less. I refer to Mark 16:15.

MANY TEARS

Paul’s emotions were very high when he spoke about Christ and preaching the Gospel. He had many tears toward the lost condition of mankind. He had a broken and contrite heart. Paul never laughed at any sin but developed tears over the people because he knew that they were dying in those sins.

Paul’s point, many tears, prompted the title and motivation of this three part blog series. Unless we develop tears over the lost and dying condition of mankind, it will be a sad commentary for history’s reflection and for our souls. Genesis 6:3 says that God will not always strive with man.

TEMPTATIONS, WHICH BEFELL ME

The Jewish people laid in wait to trap Paul constantly. He had to be on the guard at all times but he obeyed and followed the Lord everywhere HE told him to go. Paul never gave up no matter what the temptation was to not go or worry about what lay in store for him. He stayed the course and ran his race. It didn’t matter what the people thought as long as he was serving the Lord. Paul knew who and why he was serving God. It's what motivated him. We can never go wrong by serving and following the Lord.

A pastor once told me a very profound story about his dog. He was trying to teach his dog “Charlie” to be obedient and the meaning of the word “No.” He would lay down the dog’s favorite toy or piece of food and when the dog was tempted and went for it, the pastor would say “No.” Eventually, after a few lessons, reprimands, and a well placed "No," Charlie would come to a halt and look at his master and didn't take his eyes off of him. The pastor said that the dog was smarter than most humans in that the dog continued to look at him until he got the okay to go get what he wanted.

We all would probably do well to emulate Charlie’s behavior. When the enemy tempts us, coming to a halt would be a prudent plan of action. Immediately look to our master and not take our eyes off of HIM until the temptation abates. Wait until HE either gives the okay or still says “No.” Instead of a fifth grader, we too can be smarter than a dog.

Next week, I’ll discuss the final three points of Paul’s encouragement: [1] Keep back nothing, [2] Showed you, and [3] Taught you publicly. Paul was a tremendous man of God. Oh, but to have known him personally. At least we have his story, exploits, and teaching via the Holy Spirit. See you next week. God bless.

.

1 comment:

HAIN Holiday_Angel said...

Paul is a wonderful example in the Word, he was articulate, educated, determined, and trustworthy on either end as Saul or Paul, he put his whole heart into his belief and followed through.
I do not recall many going through the drastic altercations he did in his life.
I am sure after the road to Damascus where he had encountered the Lord he kept that burning desire in his heart for those the Lord gave him to witness to and the love of the Lord was evident in his instructing, traveling, and defiance of worldly gods and philosophers they had in those area,s.
Everything Paul did was from the heart, including his death. He is an excellent example of obedience and love to Jesus Christ, his first love and one would do well to follow his example in his service to the Lord.
Thank you James for sharing that. Your walk is evident..keep on going till you reach your destination..