Thursday, February 27, 2014

LOGOS V RHEMA

Howbeit that is not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; then that which is spiritual [1 Corinthians 15:46].

This Scripture has bothered me for a very long time. I knew that this verse was wrong and that the Bible must be inerrant because I knew for a fact that God created man in His image [Genesis 1:27], which was spirit [John 4:24]. Man was first, a spirit (little “s”).

Today, this verse resurfaced as it does from time to time, but this time, the Lord began to show me what it all meant. I love it when He does that. I am elated this morning that God would take time out of running a universe to give me rhema about His Word.

After the Lord told me of the Corinthian’s meaning, He presented me with a picture in my mind of the difference between logos and rhema. Now I already knew the meaning of both but the analogous picture given to me was perfect (and why not, it came from God), so I felt led to share. I hope this helps somebody out there.

The picture was this: Christ is standing in front of a huge crowd of people reciting Scripture to them. While He speaks, His focus is about two feet above their head, which in and of itself, is cool because it appears that He is covering them all with His Word. This is logos, God covering us all with His Word.

Today, as I stood in that crowd, the Lord gave me the meaning of a puzzling Scripture by looking me straight in the eye. That word was for me. This is rhema. When the Lord gives us a rhema word, it is Him looking us straight in the eye and sharing.

Logos is for everybody and rhema is for an individual.

Oh, and for those who do not know the meaning of the 1 Corinthians Scripture or are just interested in what God said, here is a paraphrase of what He told me.

God DID create man in His image. . .Adam. He then created Eve from Adam’s rib. Adam was perfect in every way. All other men and women after Adam and Eve came from them, which was flesh (natural). However, because of the sin nature inherited by all mankind, we are first all flesh but we are all also still spirit, and in God’s image. Image means copy. The real Spirit of God comes at salvation. We are all still triune beings.

After our salvation it is our perfecting [Romans 12:2] that we return to the perfection afforded us in the Garden of Eden. Christ was even born first from flesh (Mary and Joseph), and then became spiritual.

Read 1 Corinthians 15:46-49.

Well, it looks like the Bible was right -- again.

God = 31, 102 [Number of verses in the original Bible KJV.]
Jim = 0
LOL

Lord, thank you for your logos Word that you cover us daily with wisdom, healing, and salvation. Thank you for the perfecting works of the Cross and Lord, I thank you for your rhema word and time spent with me this morning. I pray God’s wisdom, healing, rhema, and salvation over each and every one of you in the name of Jesus, amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow James! You make it very difficult for someone to comment or express their thoughts when you get the meaning of a passage straight from the Lord.

Nevertheless, I am always intrigued by your blogs. Normally, as you know, over the years I’ve mostly commented through email but, since you invite comments “even if you disagree”, I am going to venture in the water on this one. I fully expect God will correct me soon enough should I be too far afield.

Your insight on Paul’s comment in 1Cor 15:46 seem to me a bit uncomfortable since the surrounding context and Paul’s explanation of it in 1Cor 15:50 and following set it all out in the open. At least that would be the way I understand Paul’s teaching in those sections. I can understand how a bit of confusion may ensue if we were to stop at verse 46 but there’s no need to do that.

Now, if I understand it correctly, just a couple thoughts about the creation scenario you lay out: First, if Christ was “in the beginning with God” it seems to me that can mean nothing more than he was first spirit and then came the incarnation (flesh). Second, it would be unusual to see man first created as spirit. It is true that God is spirit – but I don’t believe that is a reflection of what being made in his “image” means. Little doubt that Adam was created from dust and the breath of life came from God and man became a “living nephesh”. We are as he was with one exception – he was complete/right in his relationship with God until he decided to increase himself on the God-ward side. Something he would not have felt compelled to do were he created in the exact same “image” type as you seem suggest. (It gets deeper, but this is not the place to flesh that out.)

It’s true, we are reborn through the spirit at the moment of belief, but we do not actualize that until, as Paul explains, this “perishable body puts on imperishability, and this mortal body puts on immortality…” Hence “…it is not the spiritual that is first, but the physical, and then the spiritual.”

If I may add one more thing. For devotional purposes one might draw a clear line of distinction between words such as logos and rhema. And I do like your illustration. However, the scripture seldom makes that kind of distinction. The New Testament uses logos and rhema often interchangeably. One word is not always used to mean one thing and the other another. John 5:47 and 6:63 demonstrate that clearly. In those verses, when one would expect the word logos, Jesus uses rhema. It is similar with the words for love, agape and phileo – they are often used interchangeably. Jesus’ dialog with Peter in John 21 demonstrate this clearly with the use of both words in the exchange. Also, John 5:20 and 16:27 are passages where one would expect the word agape but the word used is phileo.

Again James, I’m always intrigued by your posts. Your take on things is certainly interesting.
Thanks for sharing and thanks for letting me jump on the wagon for a short ride.