Monday, June 1, 2009

Can a Christian Remarry?

I am a sixty-six year old Christian man and have just about run my course. I’ve worked life’s process for over forty years supporting and protecting my family. I’ve done most things that life has required of me. I may not have been the best at it. . .but I’m proud of what I’ve done.

Now should be the time for me to settle back into my recliner and share the journey with my spouse. Instead, I sit here in a one-bedroom apartment by myself listening to the infernal tick-tok. . .tick-tok. . .tick-tok of my wall clock as it records each and every passing and agonizing moment for posterity.

Every second reminds me of the empty chair at the kitchen table, the missing knick-knacks on the shelf, the smell of freshly baked bread, and the yell from the dining room, “It’s time to eat.”

The quietness was deafening and the loneliness almost unbearable. I didn’t want to be alone for the rest of my life but I was nowhere near ready for a relationship; friends, maybe. When the time came, could I find love again or did I even have the right to try, especially when God’s Word tells me in Matthew 19:8 that I’d commit adultery if I remarried. This did not sound promising. It looked as though I’d be alone for the rest of my life.

Perhaps this was your initial reaction, too. If so, I understand, but you’re in for a pleasant surprise. Have you ever wondered how this could be so? I know I have. I thought this couldn’t be true. Wasn’t God the God of second chances?

When the rest of my life was at stake, I knew I’d have to make a study from the original text to see what God actually meant. Hebrew and Greek word studies accomplish two things: they help us to understand what God was trying to communicate to us through the Bible and what He actually meant when He said it. Knowing what He meant thereby helps us to keep things in the proper context. Context is all-important.

With the Old Testament written in Hebrew and the New Testament written in Greek I knew I needed to make a Greek word study of Matthew 19:3-12. I found in verse eight, that the Greek word for “Put away” is Apoluo. This is a general word and does not have a legal context. It means to separate, depart, go away, or, as used in Matthew 14:15 to send.

The context of this passage is separation, in that the Pharisees were trying to trick Jesus and justify their practice of separating from a spouse (without a written divorcement) and remarrying somebody else. This was a common practice of the day.

Through the original Greek word study, and in context, we learn that this passage isn’t speaking of divorce, it is speaking of separation. Otherwise, Paul (God) would have used the word, Apostacion.

Addressing each and every scenario I.E., believer marrying non-believer, separation, divorce, death, and etcetera, is beyond the scope of this simple blog. However, I would like to draw your attention to one more Scripture that prayerfully will help us nail things down. I refer to 1 Corinthians 7:27, 28a, which says:

v27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.
v28a But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. . .

Notice how the virgin and the divorced person are in the same category. Neither one have sinned if they marry. When Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, says, in verse twenty-seven, “. . .Art thou loosed from a wife?” the Greek word he uses for “loosed,” is Luo. This word means dissolved or divorced. It actually has to, otherwise, God, through Paul, would contradict Himself in verse twenty-eight because it is a sin to remarry or have sexual relations with another person if only separated.

God’s Word also says that, it is not good for man to be alone (Genesis 2:18). The Word says further that, it’s better to marry than to burn with passion (1 Corinthians 7:8, 9).

In any event, let’s set the context and word studies on the shelf temporarily and just look at our Savior, Jesus Christ. Christ took care of everything on the Cross and while He was on that Cross, He prayed, “Father, forgive them. . .” (Luke 23:34). When we read that passage we notice that He did not say, “Father, forgive them. . .except for divorced people. . .”

Although remarriage is not a sin, but even if it was, 1 John 1:9 would still cover us, once and for all, especially if we’d done everything in our power to stay married.

So, for those who want to remarry, I say, be not condemned but be ye loved of the Lord and go with peace, for it is the will of God (1 Corinthians 7:15; Luke 2:14; Luke 24:36; John 14:27; John 16:33, and many more).

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

NOTE: If you are still married or are considering remarriage you might locate one or all three of these books as a preventative to divorce or as an important help in a new marriage so that you might stay away from divorce court.

Becoming One by Joe Beam
His Needs Her Needs by Willard Harley Jr.
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

I learned more about a woman (and people in general) than I have ever learned in my life from Gary Chapman’s book The Five Love Languages. It was too late for me but prayerfully, one or all of these books will help you. God bless you all. When and if I remarry these will help me to stay that way. . .this time.

Next week: What’s Important? While playing the part of a film critic, I found a nugget that made me stop and think. I pray that it makes us all stop and think.

God bless you all and we’ll see you next Monday. Thanks for stopping by,

Your Host: James Warren
Christian Author
http://www.jameslindquist.net

Check March blog archive or my Web page for an explanation of my names.
http://www.jameslindquist.net/htmfiles/biograph.htm

4 comments:

HAIN Holiday_Angel said...

As far as I can see you have no reason not to marry that person you sound like you keep questioning yourself about.
This time will be perhaps your final time and you two should do well.
I think beating yourself up over the past is a sin that you need to lay at Jesus feet and trust Him.
For one to have this sort of agony over the past to get to this kind of research one would have to feel guilt at every corner. Some things you cannot change, nor can you change people. Lay down the past, move forward and marry the woman you have dangling on the string.
God bless you both..Sugar
PS Well written blogs..thanks for the invitations to read them..

Mike McKinley-Good said...

James, an excellent appraisal, and you're knowledge of greek and hebrew scripture is inspiring.
Plenty of food for thought and prayer. Thank you.
I hope it's as helpful to others as it was to me.
God bless
Mike

Terry Scerine said...

Excellent post, Jim! Also, I wonder: Is there a distinction between the one loosed and the one who filed for the loosing, as far as the liberty of a divorced person to remarry without committing adultery?

Please allow me the liberty to recommend another book for Christian marriages to avoid divorce, and for those considering marriage. I am convinced that "A Joyful Marriage Fortress" is a Holy Spirit inspired message for our times and for all ages that I simply typed out.

It is a scripture-based expose about God's design for marriage and why, and about the spiritual battle being waged against marriages today.

It has been described as a winnowing fan. If both husband and wife can fully embrace all the scriptures in it, it will help ensure that the marriage will be a solid fortress built on Christ our Rock.

See it at
http://terryscerine.tatepublishing.net
or just google the title.

Thanks again for this post, Jim, and keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Interesting analysis Jim. I would question your word study results, but could identify with your struggle.

I am fortunate and blessed to have a helpmate that is my best friend. For her it was her first marriage and she was taking quite a risk with someone who had failed at more than one previous relationship. Then again, after 26 years we are both happy we took the risk.