Monday, August 12, 2013

DARN OLD SPEED BUMPS ANYWAY

All truth is parallel. For every natural truth, there is an equal and corresponding spiritual truth.

Not all, but much of what I accomplish with my writing I do by two methods. Either God directly gives me something to share with the body or He speaks to me through life’s natural occurrences. Most of my best ideas I’ve written through watching nature and/or people just living life.

Every day, the world around us is alive with activity and floods my mind with ideas for stories. Take today for instance, I was sitting at my table at StarBucks enjoying my normal tall/decaf/no-room/Americano, when I noticed drivers and their different techniques for going over a speed bump. Some stopped and crept over the bump while others never even slowed down. I watched them for about five minutes or so as they entertained me with their driving techniques.

I finally turned my head away from the street and focused my attention on some serious coffee consumption. I don’t know why, but I asked the Lord “Is there something I can learn from this Lord?” A verse popped into my mind.

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
[Proverbs 3:5-6]

How fast do we approach the speed bumps in life? Just like those raised cement obstacles, the enemy can present us with many hindrances that will slow us down, or in some cases, stop us.

Contrary to proverbs 3:5, man has a tendency to look to his own devices when an obstacle confronts him. By nature, man is a self-sufficient being, and to some extent, that’s a good thing. When we realize that God created us in His own image [Genesis 1:27] and that we are spirit, soul, and body [1 Thessalonians 5:23], we can then decide which facet of our psyche we will choose to follow.

The soul [1] is subjective, and takes in whatever we feed it. We then act on that input and develop our own temperament, character, and belief system. In other words, we choose our own standard by which we want to govern and run our lives, and that choice is a direct gift from God.

There are only two sides of our psyche that our soul can choose from, our spirit [2] or our body [3], which the Bible calls the flesh. The soul is our free will and decision making part of us. We can either align our soul with the Spirit through faith, or we can align our soul with the feel good of our flesh. It is all our decision.

The flesh (our five senses), cannot experience the spirit because there is no tangible communication between the spirit and the flesh. God designed it this way to give man choice. However, our faith is tangible. When we get those Goosebumps and feel the presence of God, it is through our faith. Faith is the bi-directional conduit from our soul to our Spirit.

As Pastor Andrew Wommack [4] teaches, when we align our soul with our flesh, it is a majority and we will acquiesce to the feel good of our body. However, when we align our soul with our spirit, that too is a majority and we will renew our mind and become more in tune with the Lord. By constantly renewing our mind [Romans 12:2], we can spiritually grow, become more like Jesus, and can defeat the enemy and all of the obstacles and speed bumps in our lives.

So, when the speed bumps of life confront us, trust in the Lord and lean not unto our own understanding but acknowledge Him, and He will direct our paths.

_______________________

[1] Self-consciousness
[2] God-consciousness
[3] World-consciousness
[4] Andrew Wommack Ministries

1 comment:

Basrbara Wilson.. said...

Makes a lot of sense .. that is the speed bumps in our lives...from my own experience ,I hit a lot of speed bumps along the way.. I keep praying for the speed bumps to go away..By nature of the flesh we let a lot of these get in our way of being what God wants us to be..Satan has a way of putting a lot of guilt trips on us to make us think we are not getting anywhere ...I never really thought about those speed bumps until you mentioned them...I usually always slow down at those things..That makes for us slowing down in what God wants us to do..We need to tell satan to get his speed bumps out of our way and go to Hell.