Monday, August 26, 2013

UNDER THE MASK

Stanley Ipkiss is a klutzy, push-over, and a don’t-know-how-he-makes-it-in-the-real-world idiot. Stanley’s existence is an absolute total disaster, so much so that he ends up on a rickety bridge in an old busted down Studebaker. However, he finds himself in the river trying to save what appears to be an attempted suicide. Instead of a suicidal victim, he finds a mask that literally changes his life. Later on in the movie and with the help of the mask, he eventually learns how to change himself into somebody that he is not.

How many of us end up on that bridge of life, looking to be somebody or something else other than what we are? Are we true to ourselves or do we put on a mask for another’s benefit? Actually, we all wear masks metaphorically speaking.

When we put on that mask, we are saying, “I’m blessed brother. I’m doing great, bless God,” but on the inside, we are hurting like crazy. On the other hand, maybe we are wearing that mask as a front that could garner us acceptance from someone else. In any event, when we put on that mask we are projecting to others something that we are not. Why do we do that? Is it because we fear rejection or are we afraid of not belonging to, or not fitting in, worrying about what others might think of us?

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well [Psalms 139:14].

Even the world knows this, when it says, "To thine own self, be true."

Let me illustrate with an example from my own life.

A couple decades ago, people called me the weeping prophet after the Prophet Jeremiah of the Bible. Not that I am a prophet by any stretch [1 Corinthians 13:9], but because I would weep many times at the drop of a hat as the emotional situations presented themselves.

I felt that I was a man and I’d been in the service and I thought I was hard enough for others to think of me in the same fashion as well. For example, when sharing Jesus at a Christmas party, I’d weep almost to the point of crying. This would happen frequently on other occasions  as well during sensitive and tender moments.

I’d notice that some folks would bow their heads in embarrassment for me. It got to where I didn’t even speak anymore. I was embarrassed for myself for always breaking down in front of everybody all the time.

I know that it’s OK for men to cry but to cry all the time. It made me feel very effeminate and I hated that. I was also ashamed as to what others would think of me as well. I didn’t feel like a real man standing in the midst of real men or standing in the presence of what society would call a man’s man.

I finally asked the Lord to remove this sensitivity from me. I prayed this whole scenario to Him. Well. . .God did just that and either removed it or only blocked my sensitivity. To this day, I have yet to totally breakdown over my mom and dad’s death. This bothers me terribly because I loved them with all my heart. Dad was my hero and mom was my support, my friend, and my spiritual leader [1].

There have been many other incidences that I should have wept and actually bawled but haven’t done so. It is at the point now that I hate who I am. Now I am not short on self-esteem but sometimes I feel like I do not know who I am.

I have asked God for forgiveness and to restore me emotionally but as yet, only He knows whether He will restore me or not. I know He has forgiven me but my emotions remain the same. So maybe this is my lesson for rejecting the way He made me. Maybe this is my cross to bear.

So. . .as someone who knows first-hand, each and every one of you are beautifully and wonderfully made. He made you like you are for a reason. So remove the mask and don’t reject who you are. In fact, embrace it, because you, like David, are the apple of God’s eye.
___________________________________

[1] Dad didn’t ask the Lord into his heart until the last 10-15 years of his life. But he was the most radically saved person I’ve ever seen.

NEXT WEEK: I will continue with Understanding God's Word, Part Two: Formal and Dynamic Equivalency. Sorry for any inconvenience to my readers.


4 comments:

marydale webb said...

Be proud to be who you are, who you were, and for those who felt pity for a weeping man, shame on them. Jesus weeped. We are not meant to be tough as nails, tenderness is a wonderful quality and respected in a man..it makes one real. Too many people now days hide who they are and finally forget who God created. Be the tender hearted real man God created you to be. You are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nice post James. I pull the mask from the drawer every know and then in unfamiliar situations. I suppose many of us do. But I'm getting more confident and God is giving me more strength to just be who he is molding me to be.

I remember last year, just sitting in my chair and the wells opened up. Oh how I miss my dad. I expect I'll do it again another day, and that's okay by me.

Bless you.

Ev said...

I know, James how you feel. I have never asked God to remove emotions from me...and like you,,I would have tears at a drop of a hat, and since my divorce I can't seem to really get out the 'hurt' with cleansing tears. It seems that everytime God wanted me to shed those tears..I was in an awkward place at work or in the middle of a store..and I "SHUT" the emotion out..to the point now..I KNOW I need to cry ,,but can't. Sometimes I just pray to Him to cleanse my heart and being and fill it all with his presence so I may continue to live a 'joyous life' There always seems to be that' mask' hanging over me and something will not 'let go' Thank you for a great topic of 'masking' what God has made,,and how important it is to understand how fearfully and wonderfully He has made our very inner being..because that is who HE is. Blesssings to you!!

Barbara Wilson... said...

Jim , this is so much like me...I cry very easily and certain songs in church ,really bring back memories...I think a good cry {No matter, man or woman} is good for everyone..It doesn't make a man more of a man because he doesn't cry.....I try to hide behind those mask at times...trying to act happy when my heart is breaking.....God doesn't want us to hide behind a mask....He wants the real us..I owe someone an apology just because in my mind, I didn't trust her...In my heart God has told me that I am wrong and to ask for forgiveness from this lady...I was hiding behind a mask trying to blame her for something she hasn't done to me......I have to do what is right and come from behind this mask and make things right with her...Wonderful blog...It made me think a lot about what I had done ..Thank you and God for opening my eyes...