Monday, August 19, 2013

UNDERSTANDING GOD'S WORD

Part One: Delight or Duty

How many times have you heard it said, "I just don't understand the Bible."

Why do so many believers struggle with understanding God's Word? Some think that if they only could go to school, maybe seminary, or class after class, they'd understand. Nothing wrong with either of these two avenues but for the average Joe - or Joe-lene - it's unrealistic.

Much of the secret is not so much in schooling, but through our obedience to God. It might sound overly simplistic, but the more we read God's Word, the more it becomes a living book to us and we begin to hear and understand the voice of God. However, if we have not obeyed Him, how can we expect Him to give us any deeper truths?

The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant [Psalms 25:14].

So, who are those who "fear" Him? They are the ones who obey Him and promised a "good understanding." [Psalms 111:10]

Am I saying that if you do not understand God's Word, you are somehow trapped in some awful disobedience of some kind and you won't acquire understanding until you repent? Heavens no. Not saying that at all. As believers, we have the Lord living inside of us via the Holy Spirit and our disobedience can prevent us from tapping into the understanding of God's Word. Why then, would He give us deeper truths?

So, as we dive into the Bible, we can look for and meditate on His instructions. Then as we partnership with the Holy Spirit and obey Him, He will reveal His deeper truths and understanding. It won't be long and our time spent in His Word will become a delight and not a duty.

<>   <>   <>

Although the above is tantamount to finding His deeper truths, there is obviously more to understanding God's Word than obedience. Books have been written on this subject, so to cover this in a page or two or in a single blog, would be impossible. Therefore, as it stands now, this topic will be a four part series. 

NEXT WEEK: we will learn about how do we even know that it is God's words that we are reading? In "Formal and Dynamic Equivalencies," we will learn how the translators translate the Bible.

In the ensuing weeks, we'll learn about translations, manuscripts and their origins, and finally, I'll give you some suggestions as to how you can study God's Word. If any of you would like me to elaborate on any of those suggestions, please leave a comment stating your requests. I'll do my best to answer any and all requests. God bless you all and enjoy God's Word, our standard.

This will not be an exhaustive study but I pray that it sparks your interest in delving deeper into His Word.

3 comments:

Barbara mooney Wilson said...

Thanks Jim for the wonderful Blog...I ,myself have a hard time understanding parts of the Bible...Sometimes I have to read it over and over before I understand some things about the Bible...I believe Revelation is the hardest to understand...So many different beliefs on this subject...As a child growing up, I never heard of any preacher talking about the Rapture or maybe I wasn't paying much attention...My grandma was way ahead of some Preachers because I do remember some things she talked about that makes me think she really knew a lot about the Bible that so many people didn't even hear about when I was growing up....I thought she was talking way out in left field..Now I know some of what she was saying...{Not all}..She lived to be almost 105 and not to long before she passed away , she was still talking about things we were going to face...Thank God we have Him to take care of us...Thanks once again for a great Blog.....GBY..

Karen O'Connor said...

Thanks, Jim. I guess we all have challenges with the bible at one time or another but you're correct. If we remain faithful and ask for discernment and wisdom we will receive it. I find that the more I read the more I understand.

Anonymous said...

Hi James,

Your thoughts are interesting indeed.

I'm a bit puzzled by "He will reveal His deeper truths and understanding." What exactly would you categorize as "deeper truths and understanding"?

Is there some special truth or understanding some people achieve and others don't or can't? If the answer to that question is yes, then it seems to put in place a scenario that might be unwelcome.

Interested in seeing the next installments.